Friday, October 24, 2008

O what delights!

I just registered for my spring 2009 semester. Intellectual heights awaiting me come January 2009:
  • Physics,
  • Organic Chemistry II (yes, the fun continues!),
  • Microbiology, and
  • Genetics
Labs for one and all (well, except naughty o-chem; scheduling conflict. Shame.)

If ANYone would have told me ten years ago that in spring 2009 I would be taking these classes, I would've laughed in their faces, right before I clipped them. Innit funny where life can take you?

This is great! I'm excited about these classes. University has uncovered a voracious scientific curiosity within me that I never knew existed. Oh, what delights await the inquisitive!

The boys and I watched a PBS documentary that followed indie-rocker Mark Everett on a journey to trace the life of his father Hugh Everett, who died 26 years ago when Mark was 18. Elder Everett is the physicist responsible for the theory of alternate dimensions which has been in turn inspiring and incensing physics scholars since the 1950's. The program was a really cool introduction to some of the principles of quantum mechanics, and it captured the attention of two boys who are already showing dangerous tendencies toward thought experiments and scientific inquiry. When I told them I was taking physics next semester, there were high-fives all around. I'm a hero, a super-genius, a ROCK STAR to my kids! (ri-i-ight!!)

Now, in light of my *yawn* keen interest in physics applications such as the Hadron superconductor (which, btw, I feel kinda bad about apparently cursing, since it broke on its first trial after I publicly thumbed my nose at it here) you may be asking, "What exactly will sustain you through an entire academic year of physics education?"

I'm glad you asked.

I love mind blowing party conversations about physics, especially when there's tequila involved (Don Julio Anejo is best for this, right Eric?) and I enjoy taking concepts to their next logical (or illogical) conclusion. I'm an avid Star Trek fan, which was responsible in part for infusing pop culture with quantum mechanics. But when you start spending billions of dollars on physics research intent on finding antimatter (whether or not it actually exists) I find myself on shaky ground in terms of practicality. Maybe someone can explain what value the Hadron will add to the world for its high-dollar budget, when there are children whose families can't afford to put shoes on them.

Maybe I'll learn that next semester.

1 comment:

  1. Don Julio anejo is perfect for ANY mind-blowing party topic, physics or otherwise! 8^)

    ReplyDelete