Friday, December 26, 2008

Enough

Finals, completed on the 15th -- check.
(sigh of relief -- check.)

Christmas decorations, dug out and hung indoors by the 18th -- check.
Christmas tree, purchased 7 days before Christmas (for $5) -- check.
Kids out for Christmas break -- check. School parties -- check.
Throw Christmas party on the 21st -- check. (outdoor decorations completed on the 20th.)

Grades, posted and confirmed on the 22nd -- check. Staight B's, a 3.0.

I wonder, when reviewing my application, if medical school admission boards will see my grades from this semester along with a copy of my family's schedule. Surely that would help. Surely there will be at least one mother on that board, who will look at my application with an impressed, "Hmm!" Surely that one mother will go to bat for me, will say, "Look how well this student did in Organic Chemistry -- the hardest class I ever took by far -- and she has two school-aged children!" Surely that one mother will convince most of the others sitting on said board that I am a sure bet, even if my GPA is lower than many other applicants, even if I don't have extensive volunteerism to list in my resume, even if I have not balanced 18-hour semesters with a job and community service.

One can only hope. And isn't Christmas about hope? Hope for the world, born in the form of a blessed, miracle baby, delivered by the bright light of a unique star. That same baby, grown into the one and only sinless man, both man and God, died so that I might live -- now that's hope. And that's just enough to keep me living my life to the fullest, giving my all so that I can walk this path; just enough hope that my all will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment