Tuesday, September 16, 2008

NOW??

I have tried from the onset of this blog to not make it political; I figure I'd leave the soap-boxing to other bloggers, like my buddy Eric over at http://20thhole.blogspot.com. (You're welcome, E!) In fact, I try to reserve forming my opinions until I've done the research, and I don't count my daily dose of NPR Morning Edition as research. I'm aware that all news programs are sensationalist and that there's so much to the news than what is reported.

But I feel that NOW (the National Organization for Women) has forced my hand. I heard an interview with their president, Kim Gandy, this morning making an unprecedented statement, that NOW will be endorsing the Obama/Biden ticket. They don't usually make endorsements in general elections (at least not publicly), but Gandy claimed that Sarah Palin's appointment made it clear how crucial their endorsement was this year. A woman tapped to run for such a high office has scared NOW into endorsing the other, all-male ticket. Makes sense right? (How I wish you could see me roll my eyes here!)

I was impressed when John McCain appointed Alaska governor Sarah Palin as his running mate, even before I knew anything about her -- mainly because this election, on a social level, is historically significant. No matter which party is elected in November, history will be made and an underrepresented minority will take up office in the White House. And that's cool.

I'm trying (but not too hard, I must confess) to learn more about Governor Palin and her positions and policies. On a personal, woman-to-woman level, I am impressed that she seems to have made the balance work: She is an intelligent woman who has achieved sufficient status and power in her career while raising children. She is making her dreams come true on all the fronts. That is enough to make me applaud her, but not necessarily vote for her. Yet the picture is unfolding in front of me, the facts are rolling in, and I like her more and more every day. She wants more affordable fuel and alternative energy, she adheres to a moral and ethical center policy-wise that impresses me, she seems to be honest and clear-headed in her decisions, and she seems to be innovative and forward-thinking without selling America out.

NOW says that only 42% of women favor Governor Palin for the vice-presidency, and that number goes down 10% more when you talk to single women. Gandy stated in her interview that, although Palin is being portrayed as a feminist, she holds positions that are "anathema" to women's causes, because she believes in the sanctity of life regardless of how it comes about. She went on to say that Palin is "so completely out of step with American women."

I have to ask -- WHICH WOMEN? WHICH 42% responded to this poll that shows such a lack of support for the only woman in the running? And how, since I -- an American woman -- find her policies reasonable and can relate to her positions, can she be "completely out of step with American women"? She's not out of step with me.

Raise your hand if you have ever participated in a political poll. Say, "aye!" if you've been asked for your views regarding issues or politicians in order to be quoted by a news service. Give a shout-out if you've ever nudged your buddy while watching the news and said, "See that percentage of people polled? I'm one of them!"

I've never been asked to participate in a poll of voters, yet I am a voter. I have heard over and over again how leaders I support are losing favor among the American people while I continue to support them. And now I hear that a woman that I see as making American history is out of step with the overarching group called "American women," a group to which she and I both belong?

Puh-leeze!

I endeavor to stay away from partisan politics. I have been tempted to vote according to the Right to Life list of prolife politicians, disregarding their record on any other issue, but as I've grown and studied, and developed my critical thinking skills a bit more, I find myself more apt to look at many issues, not just the "values" issues. Even on the values issues (which I am in no way demeaning by saying this) I find myself a bit more pragmatic than I used to be. While I personally disagree with gay marriage because of my biblical perspective, I don't think it's the roll of my government to determine whether or not gay couples should be afforded the same financial or healthcare rights I get as a married person, nor do I think the Constitution makes any statement on the issue whatsoever. While I agree with Palin and other conservatives that human life is sacred from the moment of conception, I feel that conservatives would gain a lot more ground in their prolife policy agenda if they would scale back the rhetoric a bit. Those are hot-button issues that I may garner some flack over, and they're not the only issues, but are sufficient enough to express my political vantagepoint. All-or-nothing attitudes, when it comes to politics, will get you more of the latter.

NOW states that they are endorsing Obama and Biden because of their extensive record of support for women's rights. I've spent some time on the Obama-wagon. I admit, I was enamored with his crowd appeal, with his charisma, with his traditional black-preacher speaking style. I confess to watching Obama-girl on YouTube (it was a guilty pleasure) and kind of relating to her crush. But one thing I've never fooled myself into thinking was that Barack Obama has an extensive record on anything. Yet Kim Gandy, who I'm sure is an intelligent and strong woman of position, made a statement in a nationally-broadcasted interview that would lead listeners to think that the Democratic candidate has been in national government long enough to have amassed an extensive record. He just does not have enough experience under his belt to make it in the top office. I am willing to wager that he will have different opinions on many of the planks in his platform ten years from now. That's just life -- we live, we learn, we grow. If we don't, we're not really living. I am just more comfortable with someone who has done more of that living and learning before (s)he becomes President.

I still recognize that I did not get the entire story from this short interview on a left-leaning news show. But what I did hear frustrated me enough to make my voice heard.

2 comments:

  1. 1) NOW may not have previously endorsed a candidate, but they've always been liberal. Sarah Palin embodies many of the the things NOW claims to support, but they hate her, because she's not liberal, and is pro-life. 2) I disagree that all news is senationalist, implying that there is equal left and right bias in the MSM. To me, listening to a very liberal news organization like NPR to "balance" what I hear from more conservative sources is akin to (albeit not to the same degree) listening to some preaching from my pastor and then some from Jeremiah Wright or Anton Levay just to get some balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, Eric, I'm glad you disagree -- that proves that we're both necessary in this friendship. ;)

    ReplyDelete