Thursday, January 22, 2009

7.1

This is week one of my seventh semester at Texas State University. Or, as I'm calling it here, 7.1. My first semester was the perfect picture of me sticking my toe in the water before diving in; I took only six hours. Most semesters since then I've taken only 12-13 hours. My first two semesters were spent fulfilling core education requirements -- the stuff all majors require like history and English. It was during this time that I realized I accomplished so very little in my first college attempt, and thus, I was basically starting over.

My third semester was my first really serious challenge in the sciences: general chemistry, freshman biology (for majors), college algebra, and a philosophy class, and (oh, yeah) weight training (because heavy metal rocks!) That semester totalled 14 hours with labs and it nearly did me in, so I scaled back my hours the next semester. Oh, and I added a dance class for my second physical wellness requirement. Other classes included the second half of general chemistry, pre-calculus (which I took without taking the foundational trigonometry, mind you; if you're reading this before you've embarked upon your own education, don't make that mistake) and the core communications requirement -- a basically easy semester (except the math.)

At that point, I was still considering physical therapy, and dance was proving to be an intriguing therapeutic modality. At least that was my excuse to take TWO dance classes the following semester. I also enrolled in an athletic training class for the physical therapy requirements, calculus I, and an honors literature class. Only one class in the entire lineup fulfilled a medical school prerequisite. Pretty safe to say, an amazingly fun semester.

And an almost complete waste of time.

I shouldn't say that. I visited three medical schools that semester, convincing me that truly was the path I wanted to take. I got involved in TSU's premed society. And I learned a killer improvisational dance form. I had fun, and refreshed myself for the rest of my undergraduate matriculation.

Then last semester hit. That's when I started this blog, so if you've been observing faithfully, you pretty much know what that was: An uphill slog through knee-deep mud, complete with requisite bitching and moaning while I actively pulled my hair out and scared my children with my manic study habits. At least that's how the first part of it went. I must say, I think I ended rather well. Now I'm a full-fledged premed student, logging hours in classes such as microbiology, genetics, physics, and more organic chemistry.

This point of this inventory? I'm glad you ask:

I returned to university six semesters ago. I have enough college credit hours to be a senior ready to graduate this calendar year. Yet, for all intents and purposes, I am a sophomore. My projected graduation date is in December of 2011. About five months after my 40th birthday.

*sigh*

College is a different journey when undertaken several years into life, and you have passengers along for the ride. There are advantages and disadvantages. The advantages include an undying fascination with the subject matter. Any subject matter. I am a woman starved in the midst of famine, and my classes are a veritable feast that I can't stop myself from gorging on. I am still amazed at how much I enjoyed math and chemistry (my parents marvel at that, too; you wouldn't believe the looks they give me when I tell them how much I'm digging this stuff.) I am pursuing my education with a purpose. I'm not looking for myself, because I've already found her. I can see the end, and am taking steps with purpose towards it. I have a plan, and I'm doing the plan, so each semester I can tick off as one step closer to finishing it.

Not only am I interested, I appreciate the financial commitment I've made. I have a professor that put it this way: education is the only business in which the customer (the student) will pay full price for a product/service, but will gladly accept less than full service/product. But not me; being a more experienced consumer, I will eek every last cent out of my purchase. I attend every lecture, every study session, every lab. I put in extra time reading and studying. And that professor's comments helped me realize that I'm paying for knowledge, not a piece of paper, and not a good grade. That tidbit will help me focus on even more effective study habits.

Now, the disadvantages:
  • I am older than several of my professors, and all of my lab instructors.
  • My peers call me "ma'am."
  • I can't take as many semester hours as other science/pre-professional students due to family commitments and schedules, nor can I attend all the organizational meetings. This will make my undergrad tenure longer than others in this major.
  • I can't live in an apartment near campus, so my commute is a bit further.
  • I occasionally have to listen to complaints from my children that I'm spending more time with textbooks than I am with them. Consequently, I have to battle mommy-guilt for that.
  • I can no longer "pull an all-nighter" when I want, but when I don't want to "pull an all-nighter," I am visited by hormone-induced insomnia and do anyway.
  • There's more laundry, more dishes, more cooking, more chores here than in the typical college student's home. Also more noise, more distraction... just, more.

Alas, at the end of this second inventory, I am convinced that the advantages (although they're fewer in number) far outweigh the disadvantages (because they're bigger.) And I'm convinced that every disadvantage has an accompanying advantage that wipes it out.

7.1 may not be as close to the end of my undergrad as it would be to Someone Else's, but it's right where I need to be. And I'm ready to face it head-on.

Come on, lucky seven!

4 comments:

  1. I can relate to all your disadvantages, apart from being called Ma'am - they tend not to call me anything - as a middle-aged woman I think I am invisible! The advantages definitely outweigh that though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a graduate with an engineering degree, I seem to recall almost all of my semesters were like you described your last one (slogging in knee-deep mud). Interesting, yes, but still slogging. Good luck, stretchy-brain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stretchy-brain... I like it!

    Nickname? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Studentmum, I tend to be pretty invisible, too.

    And reading your profile, a bit awestruck -- how do you do this with THREE children?! =) Hat's off to you, great woman!

    ReplyDelete