Thursday, January 8, 2009

Woman in Between

I get the Victoria's Secret catalog in the mail regularly. The swimsuit issue came yesterday, promptly, just like every January. Needing a bikini in January in Texas isn't so unbelievable, but I know that the same mailing goes out to customers in New York and Wisconsin (for all you naughty members of the local polar-bear winters-swim clubs!)

I read an article recently that stated Fashion (big F = the industry) wasn't quite so out-of-touch anymore and is no longer assuming that we're all rich and leisurely needing a new bikini for a winter's holiday in the Mediterranean. Well, maybe that was a forward-thinking Fashion article.

Anyway. That's not the subject of this post.

About midway through the annual VS swim catalog, I find several pages of the Pink line of bathing suits and casual clothing, all worn by teenage girls. Not even college-aged, but early high-school girls. It was all playful, not pouty and seductive like the more "mature" VS models (those in their 20s) that populate the rest of the catalog. But it still left me feeling very --

-- old. And without a place.

Where do women My Age shop for bathing suits and lingerie?

By My Age I mean in between. No longer young and lithe, but damned sure not old (and determined never to be old.) Working hard to remain fit and fabulous even while knocking on 40's door. Still fun and flirty, fashionably relevant, yet with the depth and diversity of interests brought by experience. Not willing to settle with St. John's Bay and Eddie Bauer, not willing to give my firstborn for Armani, and definitely not willing to shop the racks of flimsy pieces alongside, like, the teenage clientele at Buckle and Papaya.

These days my look says, "I'm too busy to spend a lot of time shopping." I'd rather my look would confidently state, "I am in control," but I'll settle for anything that doesn't say, "I'm trying too hard to look like those two decades younger than me," or, "I gave up mirrors when I turned 35."

Being surrounded by traditional college coeds all day doesn't really help my dilemma, either. My fashion sense is a tad skewed toward frayed jeans and graphic tees, since that's what I see day in, day out. I used to wear sleek suits and stylish heels. *sigh* Ha, try trudging up the hill twice a day dressed like that! My peers wear flip flops and house shoes to class, making my Pumas and Sketchers look formal. Still, I'd love the chance to dress My Age more, if only I weren't so confused as to how My Age should dress.

And now my lingerie catalog -- where I buy things to, well you know, help me feel like a woman -- is marketing to kids.

Whoever is in charge of dumbing down America seems to be younging us down as well.

1 comment:

  1. Tough dilemna. I'd better spend some time researching the VS catalogs myself in detail before I make a recommendation. 8^)

    ReplyDelete